Formed in London 2010, Echo lake band is an English indie pop band consisting of five people. Their debut EP Young Silence was released through No Pain In Pop back then in 2011 and their (Echo Lake) debut album Wild Peace was released in June 2012 through Slumberland Records and No Pain In Pop. Their Second album titled Era was due for release on 2 March 2015.
The band is centered on the songwriting partnership of singer Linda Jarvis and producer-guitarist Thom Hill. Critics have identified dream pop and shoe gazing elements in their sound. Ex-choirgirl Jarvis’ voice and Hill’s unique production style have both received acclaim.
SEE ALSO: Nat King Cole Biography and life.
Until its deformation, the band line-up consists of Linda Jarvis on vocals and keyboards, Thom Hill on guitar, Will Young on bass guitar and Dayo James on drums. In what seemed to be an unfortunate event in the life pf the band, their original drummer Peter Hayes died in June 2012.
Also, as founding members of the band, were Kier Finnegan and Steven Green.
The Band Reception
While the band received many reception, it is crucial to note that the critical reception for Wild Peace was very strong. The album was called:
- “something striking, singular and mercurial” in a 9 out of 10 review at Drowned In Sound;
- “a rather extraordinary sonic party full of elegiac beauty” in The Line Of Best Fit’s 9 out of 10 review;
- “dazzling, hypnotic, deliriously seductive and gloriously prodigious” in Clash Magazine’s 8 out of 10 review; and
- “effortless” in a 4 out of 5 review from The Times.
Along with the many receptions, the album was Rough Trade Shops’ Album of the Week, and was further listed in NME’s Top 75 Records of 2012, while also taking the position #8 in The Line Of Best Fit’s Records of 2012, and in the top 60 of Drowned In Sound’s Albums Of 2012.
- Wild Peace (No Pain In Pop/Slumberland Records, 2012)
- Era (No Pain In Pop, 2015)
- Young Silence (No Pain in Pop, 2011)
- “Another Day” / “Breathe Deep” (No Pain In Pop, 2011)
- “Alisa” (Ariel Pink cover) (web release, 2011)
- “Peaking Lights” – Marshmallow Yellow (Echo Lake remix) (Web release, 2012)
- “Fairewell” – Born Under A Bad Sign (Echo Lake remix) (Web release, 2011)
- “Saint Saviour” – Red Sun (Echo Lake remix) (Web release, 2011)
Echo lake wild peace album review – Drownedinsound
Other Recommended Music related readings from Spriee.